August "Theme of the Month" here at the studio in Waverton, is all about the Anahata (Heart) Chakra, we will practice cultivating kindness and compassion for ourselves and all beings.
All beings desire to be happy and free, and much of our activities drive us to seek an experience of happiness and freedom. But often our actions or acquisitions only provide short term happiness; we stumble in our quest and are constantly on the chase for the next thing. The only real lasting happiness exists when we can cultivate heart felt compassion, for ourselves and others.
This month in class we will examine the personal and political relevance of Ahimsa, which is translated in the negative as non-violence, but more than that, it's also the conscious practice of kindness; and we will practice Karuna/ Compassion, through Metta Bhavana (Loving Kindness Meditation).
Kindness and Compassion are matters of the heart, bringing the focus of the month to centre on Anahata (Heart) Chakra. To live in alignment with the qualities of Anahata Chakra is to be able to cultivate and express loving kindness and compassion towards others. It means that your heart is open to others and you inspire kindness and compassion in others. You create safe and supportive environment for yourself to give and receive love.
Affirmations for Anahata Chakra
- I am open to giving and receiving love.
- I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- I live in a state of gracefulness and gratitude.
- I breath in love and beauty.
- I forgive myself and others.
Practices For Strengthening Anahata Chakra
- Smile! It’s contagious. Turn corners of your mouth up and offer joy to those you see throughout the day, you might get a few smiles back and you'll soo find your heart is smiling on the inside too!
- Practice Forgiveness. Start small and work up to the bigger hurts.
- Offer positive affirmations and feedback to the people in your life.
- Try to go one day without criticizing anyone or anything, including yourself.
- Practice Metta Bhavana (Loving Kindness Meditation)
The Heart Chakra is related to Air element, so this month's yoga practice we will incorporate an experience of Prana Vayu (fundamental energising force) by moving in a way to facilitate an expansiveness of breath, opening the chest through back bending postures and practicing the pranayama techniques of: Full Yogic Breath, 3 Part Yogic Breath and Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breath).
To join for me for mindful hatha yoga, vinyasa or pregnancy yoga in Waverton, Sydney, take a look at the classes here, where you can book a single drop-in class or join us for the term to save 20%.
More Nourishment for your Heartspace:
- Kitchen Alchemy: Hearts and Roses Ayurvedic Lassi
- Metta Meditation: In need of heart healing, self-compassion or forgiveness? Practice Metta Bhavana/ Loving Kindness Meditation with me, here in my Chakra Meditaiton Series, it's the 4th one down.
- Calling All Empaths. You're tender heart will enjoy this podcast with Kristina Wingeier.
An airy mix of tracks, mostly instrumental, featuring harp, piano, sitar, airy electronica and eastern rhythms.